Derry Area Spectator Guidance
On September 2, 2020, Governor Wolf and the PA Department of Health updated the requirements regarding spectators at school district athletic events.
All sports-related activities must adhere to the gathering limitations set forth by the Governor’s Plan for Phased Reopening (25 or fewer people for an indoor activity, 250 or fewer people for outdoor activity), and the facility as a whole may not exceed 50 percent of total occupancy otherwise permitted by law. All individuals present at the facility at which such activities are held count towards gathering limitations and must comply with the face-covering order and social distancing guidelines.
There is no longer a restriction on spectators or visitors. Each school can now determine who to allow into their facility as long as they do not exceed the 25 (indoor) and 250 (outdoor) maximum capacity limits.
Based on these new requirements, the following spectator procedures will be in place for each sport:
Requirements for Visiting School Spectators
- Spectators from the visiting team are not permitted to attend football and indoor events at Derry Area due to the maximum restrictions.
- Spectators from visiting teams are permitted to attend soccer, cross country, tennis, and golf contests at Derry Area.
- A face covering must be worn at all times and social distancing of at least 6′ must occur.
The DASD marching band, as a whole, will perform at 5:15 p.m. prior to each home football game. Two marching band parents/guardians per band member are permitted to attend; however, the stadium capacity must remain below 250 people. The marching band will end their performance at 5:25 p.m. and all spectators and marching band members will exit the stadium immediately.
- DASD marching band parents/guardians must enter and exit the stadium through the main stadium entrance, parking will be available on the marching band practice field.
- Marching band parents/guardians will be issued passes on lanyards and must present them upon entering the stadium.
- The marching band and cheerleading squad will be reduced to pep squads (MB: 20 performers, 2 staff; Cheer: 13 cheerleaders, 2 coaches) for football games to allow for more football parents/guardians to attend. No marching band parents/guardians will be permitted in the stadium during the football game unless they also have children on the football team or cheerleading squad.
- Gates will open at 6:30 p.m. for football and cheerleading parents/guardians to enter through the football practice field entrance. Parking will be available on the football practice field.
- Spectator Breakdown for Football Games:
- 2 parents/guardians per senior football player and senior cheerleader.
- 1 parent/guardian per underclassmen player and cheerleader.
- Parents/guardians will be issued passes on lanyards and must present them upon entering the stadium.
- Spectators cannot congregate anywhere on the Derry Area campus outside of the stadium.
Social Distancing and Face Coverings
- All spectators must wear a face-covering and maintain 6′ of social distancing.
- Your lanyard pass will indicate your predetermined seat to ensure spectators are socially distanced in the bleachers. If spectators do not follow social distancing and facial covering guidelines, the school district may be forced to remove the spectator and/or eliminate spectators altogether from athletic events.
Soccer, Tennis, Cross Country, and Golf
Because of the nature of other Derry Area outdoor sports, detailed operational plans are not necessary. However, all spectators must meet the following requirements to attend athletic events at Derry Area:
- The maximum number of attendees at any one event must not exceed 250 at any time.
- A face covering must be worn at all times.
Volleyball and other Indoor Sports
At this time, indoor sports are limited to only 25 individuals. Because of the number of individuals required to compete and manage a contest, no spectators will be permitted at indoor events.
The school district is contracting with BoxCast to provide live-streamed events. More information will be distributed when available.